The TeenVestor Stock Market Competition
The TeenVestor Stock Market Competition is for high school business education classes. The competition will be open from September 2018 through June 2019 and must be monitored by a Business Education teacher in each high school approved for participation by TeenBusiness Media.
For almost 20 years, TeenBusiness Media (including its media properties, teenvestor.com, teenbusiness.com, and others) has been teaching young people about investing and entrepreneurship. This competition is an extension of our effort to make learning investing principles more fun and not just simply an academic exercise. Business education teachers interested in participating in the The TeenVestor Stock Market Competition can send an email to email@example.com
Here are the basics of the TeenVestor Stock Market Competition.
- Each class will begin with $2,000 of Virtual Cash in the competition.
- The class will use the Virtual Cash to trade stocks they choose from the 30 stocks in the Dow Jones Industrial Average through the Virtual Stock Exchange platform by MarketWatch.com (www.marketwatch.com/game); MarketWatch.com is owned by the Dow Jones Media Group -- the same company that publishes the Wall Street Journal.
- Each approved high school class that participates must have have an account and will be invited to join the competition -- only one class can join per high school and only one account for the entire class is allowed.
- Cumulative gains (or losses) in each portfolio is tabulated and recorded weekly -- students are encouraged to determine why their portfolio fell or rose in value.
- At the end of the competition, each high school will receive a donation from TeenBusiness Media based on the higher of the two amounts below:
- The amount of money (if any) the class made in its stock portfolio; or
- If there are at least 5 high schools accepted in the the competition, the school that has the highest gain by the end of the competition will receive an additional $1,000.
- Each class will get a set of books (TeenVestor: The Practical Investment Guide for Teens and their Parents) to help in the stock selection process.
- The class must invest in at least 5 different stocks for the duration the competition.
- The stock selections can be changed periodically but keep in mind that there is commission for trading which does diminish the value of the stock portfolio.
If you have additional questions or suggestions about The TeenVestor Stock Market Competition, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.